Rhoeo Vittata Yellow Plant
Buy Rhoeo Vittata Yellow Plant from Santhi online plant nursery website. It is a variegated cultivar of the small oyster plant known as “Moses-in-a-Basker/Boat/Cradle/Raft” for its fleshy green and yellow stripes on the upper side of the foliage and deep purple undersides; the folded bracts hold small white flowers in clusters from round to boat-shaped. The specific name Spathacea means “having a spathe,” which could relate to the spathe-like bracts from which the blooms emerge.
Vittata is a scintillating evergreen perennial plant that grows in clumps and is native to southern Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala. Because of its attractive foliage, it is commonly planted in regions known to have tropical climates. It grows as a 6-12″ tall rosette with narrow, organized, linear-lanceolate, stiffly ascending, sword-shaped dark green leaves with purple undersides (to 6-12″ long). Over time, the plants will grow to produce a dense ground cover. Flowers are in bloom all year. Fruit comes after the flowers (3-celled capsules).
- To be kept outside in a pot plant throughout the winter. Plant in a well-drained potting medium with lots of indirect light. Without adequate light, it will stretch out and become lanky, or its purple leaves will turn green.
- Provide afternoon shade if maintained outdoors in the summer. Allow the top 1-2 inches of soil to dry out between waterings during the summer and spring. Reduce watering during the winter.
- The tips of the leaves might turn brown if the humidity falls below 40% for a lengthy period. To provide humidity, spray the plant every day.
- Rhoeo is a popular tropical or subtropical garden border or edging plant. It’s hardy and adaptable, growing in full sun or partial shade and in a variety of soil types.
- If left to its own devices, this plant will form a clump and eventually cover a vast area. Its vibrant foliage makes it an excellent plant for providing contrast to the garden.
- Used as a ground cover as well as a decorative plant in hanging baskets.
- This plant thrives well outdoors in warmer regions or as a houseplant with an excellent view when grown in a thick, gently enlarging clump.